7.23.2009

Learning to Play Guitar, Day 2: My wrist! My wrist!


Day two of my online guitar lessons: I can't feel my left hand and the corresponding wrist throbs. I should probably heed the advice of my lessons and cut back the playing to 15 minutes everyday, lest I injure my wrists or fingers so soon after starting. A person's hand is probably not suppose to feel like the size and elegance of an inflated balloon, after all. Lies. I'll just keep on keeping on and hope my hands adjust to their newest task.

Today I learned minor cords, a really weird sounding scale, and how to strum. My playing still sounds atrocious, but I like to think it is less assaulting than the sounds I produced this time last night. Also, I'm sure my neighbors living the next floor down are less than thrilled that I practice guitar at 11:30 at night. However, I like to think it is me getting back at them for smoking outside my window and talking until 2:00am on a random Wednesday morning. Yeah for civil Seattle neighbors and passive aggressive methods of dealing with problems.

I also learned the necessary cords for 90% of the old hymns written: G, C, F, Am. I plunked my way through Come Thou Fount. Hopefully come August end, I can watch the sun set and play some hymns to the approaching night. I am currently accepting auditions for random percussion, be it the spoons, tambourine, or little plastic eggs filled with jelly beans.


1 comment:

A "cheery" disposition said...

good for you for keep on keeping on. I don't play gutiar but my boyfriend does for a living and his a gained muscles in his hand in arms that most ppl dont have so you will get use to the feeling soon im sure.