9.15.2009

Aging

I realized something today. It is something we all know deep down, but I'm sure rarely think of the implications in our moments of youth and indestructibility. Everyone is young and youthful, at some point starting out in their lives. Living is an incredibly difficult thing and it is impressive so many people make it to decaying bodies and mental instability. Discovering this at a coffee shop, I then looked around at the people and wondered at the lives and stories the elderly people around me could speak of. What did they look like and act like in their youth? How will I act and look in my age?

I think I will write more on this later. On my trip home, I saw an elderly couple at the park sitting on a bench. Perhaps they were husband and wife and had the opportunity to know each other when they were young. I can only hope this was the case. He put his arm around her and they both laughed while the sun illuminated their white hair.

4 comments:

ExtraHyperActive said...

I start watching old people more often. What is it like being old? How many regrets do they have ? Do you feel lonely ? Do you still work at this age? Isn't it time to call it quits ? Hope I won't live that long.

Unknown said...

I can't imagine myself older, but I think this has to do with the fact that I live a very active lifestyle. If I suddenly remove the ability to rock climb or hike, my quality of life would drop for sure. Because I couldn't see myself old, I didn't think that it would happen to me, that some how I would find a way to die young.

I'm going to be an aunt soon. The idea of watching a little niece or nephew grow into a person is fascinating and inspiring. I don't think my sudden respect for the elderly and desire to remain healthy and happy into old age are independent from this approaching event.

There is a season for everything, even youthfulness and age, I think.

Anonymous said...

trust me...having kids brings this point home even harder. especially when you start doing the calculations on how old you will be when your child is X years old (think: climb together, etc.)

ugh! it's scary.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comment.

I can only imagine the impact children would have on a new parent's life. Perhaps that is why I find myself shying from the possibility. I'll see how I fair with aunt hood. I could be a mess and cry at every birthday, regardless of the fact that the child is not my own flesh and blood.