8.13.2009

Just Too Much for an Introvert


I found this flower on a trash heap today. I like to think the garbage men found it and smiled
before throwing the trash away. I don't think they noticed.


I do believe the stars have been aligning oddly in Capricorn this week.

Aside from other odd interactions I've found myself engaging in that I am still working to put my head around (randomly being contact by someone 8 years past, talking with an ex-boyfriend for a long while in a car smelling of raspberries, meeting new people and nearly immediately deciding to live with them, betting a 6-pack of microbrew on the location of Glacier Peak), I was hit on in a local coffee shop today.

My lab partner and I met up to study for our lab quiz and prepare for our class. We stayed at the coffee shop for about three hours until we finally needed to go to class. While my friend was in the bathroom, the guy sitting next to me leaned over, slipped me a piece of paper and wished me luck on my test. Shocked, I wonder if he in fact dropped the paper off at the right table and that perhaps I should place it at a table with a more desirable female inhabitant.

It was pouring down an August rain and my friend and I waited until we got to my car to open up the paper and see what Mr. Coffee Shop had to say. It had a number and a note apologizing for the passive method of delivery; wondering if I could pretend he gave it to me outside the shop instead. I'm not the sort of girl to attract phone numbers and am left wondering,

1. Does he give his number out to everyone?
2. In a moment of nervousness, did the note in fact make it to the wrong table?
3. Did he listen in on our conversation for three hours to decide that I was interesting enough to receive his number?

Baffled, I don't know what to do with the note. I go between taking a picture of it and posting it on my blog to hanging it on the refrigerator. Maybe I'll call it eventually, but I don't remember what the giver looks like as he was sitting next to me and didn't do much to attract attention. If he brings any other book besides Moby Dick to a coffee date, I really wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd.

This has been a very stressful and confusing week for a borderline introvert dealing with reclusive tendencies. I feel just about ready to quit this socializing thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have been reading your blog for a little while now...and i'm jealous.

i wish i was at that coffee shop instead of note guy.

i wouldn't have just given you a note.

i would have talked...

oh well...

Unknown said...

I'm flattered. and curious...

Thank you for your comment.

P. Morris said...

Stalkers all around Katie.

Like Cat Stevens says "Ohhhh baby baby it's a wild world" this includes the internet and coffee shops.