8.27.2009

Love Poem Birches


While walking yesterday, I found myself in a grove of birches and stared amazed at the perfect white trunks of the delicate trees surrounding me. A little ways up, one tree was shedding a parchment of bark like skin during rejuvenation. I jumped, caught the roll in my hand and placed it in my pocket for later, sad that I knew so little poetry by heart to mark upon my pearly white paper.

This morning, with pen in hand, I resolved to write a love poem upon the paper. Without hesitation, I chose a bit from ee cummings. Being lover-less, I think I will walk to Greenlake and find someone that I think needs a love poem in their life, deliver cumming's words and ride away before questions can form.


if i love You
(thickness means
worlds inhabited by roamingly
stern bright faeries

if you love
me) distance is mind carefully
luminous with innumerable gnomes
Of complete dream

if we love each (shyly)
other, what clouds do of Silently
Flowers resemble beauty
less than our breathing

e.e. cummings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you deliver it to a random soul? How did it go?

Unknown said...

I did! I did! I wrote a follow-up about the experience.

Generally, there is a lot of anxiety that goes into trying to read strangers enough to decide if they would receive a love poem. I tried to find the right person, but ended up choosing two men that stood out to me as special. At the end of the day, it was a fun endeavor and I was glad I did it.